Packing Car Roof Racks.
Car Roof racks are a great way of carrying extra equipment and luggage, and it help keep things like gas bottles, wet fishing gear or surfboards, and greasy tools away from the people inside the car.
But there are some issue to consider.
- There is a load/weight limit for your vehicle. For a 4WD or heavy duty vehicle this is a fairly high limit. But for a station wagon the limit maybe modest. the combined weight of the roof rack and the load cannot exceed to total weight limit. And don’t forget that the luggage in the car and the passengers are a fair amount of weight too.
- The car handling will be affected by the weight you are carrying.
- The centre of gravity will be affected by the load you carry on the roof. This will affect the handling of the vehicle, as well as its stability. If the weight is lower down the effect is reduced. large items that are low in weight (like two bicycles mounted vertically) should have minimal effect.
- Distribution of the weight on a roof rack is significant. Having more weight over the front wheels will feel different to more weight over the back wheels. You will feel this in the car’s handling. A good rule of thumb is distributing the weight evenly.
- A roof rack will lower the fuel economy of a car, even when you are carrying no load.
- Items like surfboards are prone to catching the wind and becoming air-born. These must be very securely tied down, even though they are light. Having a windshield in front of the equipment will be a considerable help.
- Loading and unloading the roof rack will be time consuming and at least a little awkward. only store item there that need to be accessed once per day.
It should be obvious that a load on the roof makes the vehicle taller. You cannot drive under anything with low clearance. You probably cannot use undercover parking lots.
Make sure everything on the roof rack is water tight. It will rain at some point.
The best roof rack will always be something custom designed for your vehicle. Talk to us. We have custom designed roof racks for every major model of 4WD and most other vehicles.